MAVEN™ Wins 2023 R&D 100 Award
In August, R&D World magazine announced the 100 winners of its 2023 R&D 100 Awards. These awards are R&D World’s renowned worldwide science and innovation competition, celebrating its 61st year. The MAVEN™ analyzer from 908 Devices, introduced in January 2023, was one of the 21 award winners in the Analytical/Test category.
Real-time Bioprocess Monitoring
MAVEN provides real-time continuous monitoring and control of glucose and lactate in cell culture and fermentation processes. Glucose and lactate are critical parameters that biopharmaceutical process development scientists must monitor to ensure optimal cell viability. This is also important to improve product yield, quality, efficacy and safety.
This analyzer for bioprocess monitoring eliminates manual sampling from a bioreactor. Its novel aseptic sampling approach saves operator time, reduces contamination risk, and preserves expensive media and product.
MAVEN is configured to provide continuous in-line monitoring for a bioreactor. The analyzer monitors with excellent precision, even at very low levels—down to 0.01 g/L of glucose and 0.05 g/L of lactate—with a very wide dynamic range up to 20-30 g/L.
The device comes with integrated PID and deadband controllers. This enables out-of-the-box feeding automation, once the MAVEN is connected to an external feed pump and control setpoints are configured. The MAVEN’s reusable and single-use probes, and flow cells, make it easy to integrate with most types and sizes of upstream systems in both the Process Development lab and GMP manufacturing.
Key Use Cases for MAVEN
- Biologics: Maintaining optimal concentrations of glucose and lactate to maximize yield and product quality
- Cell therapy: Improving efficacy and safety of CAR-T cell therapies with tight control of glucose
- Gene therapy: Improving viral titer in viral vector manufacturing
- Fermentation: Precisely controlling substrate feeding in microbial fermentation processes
- Industrial biotechnology: Monitoring and controlling production of cultivated meats, beverages and biofuels
Want to learn more about how MAVEN works? Download this poster note: Benefits of Real-time Analytics to Overcome Common Cell Culture Challenges. Or view this on-demand webinar: BPI: Ask the Expert.