908 Devices Inc.
Last Updated: February 22, 2022
Welcome to the website, https://908devices.com (“Website”) of 908 Devices Inc. (“908 Devices,” “we,” “us,” or “our”). We design, develop and manufacture mass spectrometry devices (“Products”). Through our Website, we allow users to obtain information about 908 Devices and our Products.
We provide additional information for data subjects in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), Switzerland and the United Kingdom (“UK”, and collectively, “Europe”) below.
1. Personal Information We Collect
Information you provide to us, which may include:
- Contact and identification information, such as your first and last name, email address, phone number, company, country and any additional information that you provide, such as the market, applications or Products you are interested in. We collect this information when you engage in certain activities, such as contacting us or filling in a form on our Website to request additional information about our Products and services, requesting a quote for our Products and services, requesting an installation of our Products, downloading content (such as brochures, studies or guides), requesting information about employment opportunities, or registering for a webcast or other event. You may also provide to us your business contact data if you communicate with one of our sales representatives or partners, or provide your personal information in an event registration form, or provide it to us in person at a trade show or conference.
- Communication information, such as information you provide when you contact us with questions or concerns, when you use our customer support channels, or when you voluntarily respond to questionnaires, surveys or requests for market research seeking your opinion and feedback.
- Product usage. In connection with the use of some of our Products, you may provide to us sample files, which may include personal information (such as information about the individuals who prepared the samples) as needed in connection with the use and support of the Product.
- Payment information, including billing information when you pay for our Products and related services. For example, you may provide us information about your designated billing representative, including name and contact information. You may also provide payment information, such as payment card or bank details, which we collect via secure payment processing services.
- Social media information, such as your contact information that you elect to provide to us when you contact us through our pages on social media sites like LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Marketing data, such as your preferences for receiving our marketing communications, and details about your engagement with them.
- Information provided when you access secure areas of our Website, such as your name, company information, phone number, email address and password of your choice.
- Job applicant data, such as your business and personal contact information, professional credentials, your education and employment history, as well as any other information you choose to include in your resume and/or application for employment at 908 Devices.
Information collected automatically. When you visit, use and interact with the Website, we may receive certain information about your visit, use or interactions. For example, we may monitor the number of people who visit the Website, peak hours of visits, which page(s) are visited, the domains our visitors come from (e.g., google.com, yahoo.com, etc.), and which browsers people use to access the Website (e.g., Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, etc.), broad geographical information, and navigation patterns. In particular, the following information is created and automatically logged in our systems:
- Log information, which your browser automatically sends whenever you visit the Website, including your Internet Protocol address, browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, and how you interacted with the Website.
- Device information, such as the name of the device, operating system, and browser you are using. Information collected may depend on the type of device you use and its settings.
- Usage information: We collect information about how you use our Website, such as the types of content that you view or engage with, the features you use, the actions you take, and the time, frequency and duration of your activities.
2. How We Use Personal Information
We use your personal information for the following purposes or as otherwise described at the time of collection:
Service delivery. We use your personal information to:
- Provide, operate, maintain, secure and improve the Website, and our Products and services;
- Perform installation of the Products;
- Create and manage your account;
- Fulfill transactions initiated by you;
- Communicate with you about our Products and services, including by sending you announcements, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- Understand your needs and interests, and personalize your experience with our Website and our communications; and
- Respond to your requests, questions and feedback.
Research and development. We may create and use aggregated, de-identified or other anonymous data from personal information we collect to continue to operate and improve our Products and services, and to create new products and services.
Evaluating job applicants. If you submit an application for a position at 908 Devices, we use this information to facilitate our recruitment activities and process employment applications, such as by evaluating a job candidate for an employment activity, and monitoring recruitment statistics.
Marketing and advertising. We may use personal information for marketing and advertising purposes, including:
- Direct marketing. We or our advertising partners may from time-to-time send you direct marketing communications as permitted by law, including, but not limited to, notifying you of special promotions, offers and events. You may opt out of our marketing communications as described in the Opt-out of marketing communications section below.
Compliance and protection. We may use personal information to:
- Comply with applicable laws and regulations, lawful requests, and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities;
- Protect our, your or others’ rights, privacy, safety or property (including by making and defending legal claims);
- Audit our internal processes for compliance with legal and contractual requirements, and internal policies;
- Enforce the terms and conditions that govern our Website and services; and
- Prevent, identify, investigate and deter fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity, including cyberattacks and identity theft.
3. Sharing and Disclosure of Personal Information
908 Devices does not sell your personal information. In certain circumstances we may share the categories of personal information described above without further notice to you, unless required by the law, with the following categories of third parties:
Service providers. Companies and individuals that provide services on our behalf or help us operate our services or our business (such as providers of hosting services, cloud services, and other information technology services providers, email communication software and email newsletter services, advertising and marketing services, payment processors, customer relationship management and customer support services, analytics and digital advertising services). Pursuant to our instructions, these parties will access, process, or store personal information in the course of performing their duties to us.
Professional advisors. Professional advisors, such as lawyers, auditors, bankers and insurers, where necessary in the course of the professional services that they render to us.
Authorities and others. Law enforcement, government authorities, and private parties, as we believe in good faith to be necessary or appropriate for the compliance and protection purposes described above.
Business transferees. If we are involved in a merger, acquisition, financing due diligence, reorganization, bankruptcy, receivership, dissolution, sale of all or a portion of our assets, or transition of service to another provider (collectively a “Transaction”), your personal information and other information may be shared in the diligence process with counterparties and others assisting with the Transaction and transferred to a successor or affiliate as part of or following that Transaction, along with other assets.
4. Cookies and Other Technologies
Types of cookies used:
We use the following four categories of cookies:
|Social Media||Twitter Button, Twitter Syndication, Gravatar||These cookies are used when you share information using a social media sharing button or “like” button on our Website or you link your account or engage with our content on or through a social media site. The social network will record that you have done this. This information may be linked to targeting/advertising activities.|
How do I limit online tracking?
There are a number of ways to limit online tracking, which we have summarized below:
- Blocking cookies in your browser. Most browsers let you remove or reject cookies, including cookies used for interest-based advertising. To do this, follow the instructions in your browser settings. Many browsers accept cookies by default until you change your settings. For more information about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your device and how to manage and delete them, please visit htpp://www.allaboutcookies.org. Use the following links to learn more about how to control cookies and online tracking through your browser:
- Blocking advertising ID use in your mobile settings. Your mobile device settings may provide functionality to limit use of the advertising ID associated with your mobile device for interest-based advertising purposes.
- Using privacy plug-ins or browsers. You can block our Website from setting cookies used for interest-based ads by using a browser with privacy features, like Brave, or installing browser plugins like Privacy Badger, DuckDuckGo, Ghostery or uBlock Origin, and configuring them to block third-party cookies/trackers. You can also opt out of Google Analytics by downloading and installing the browser plug-in available at: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
- Advertising industry opt-out tools. You can also use these opt-out options to limit use of your information for interest-based advertising by participating companies:
Please note that we also may work with companies that offer their own opt-out mechanisms and may not participate in these opt-out mechanisms.
- Platform opt-outs. The following advertising partners offer opt-out features that let you opt out of use of your information for interest-based advertising:
- Google opt-out
- LinkedIn opt-out
Note that because the above opt-out mechanisms are specific to the device or browser on which they are exercised, you will need to opt out on every browser and device that you use. Also, if you do not accept our cookies, you may experience some inconvenience in your use of our Website.
If you choose to opt-out of targeted advertisements, you will still see advertisements online, but they may not be relevant to you.
Do Not Track. Some Internet browsers may be configured to send “Do Not Track” signals to the online services that you visit. We currently do not respond to “Do Not Track” or similar signals. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” please visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
5. Your Choices
Opt out of marketing communications. You may opt out of marketing-related communications by following instructions contained in the marketing communications we send you. If you unsubscribe from our marketing lists, you will no longer receive marketing communications, but we will continue to contact you regarding our Products and services, management of your account, other administrative matters, and to respond to your requests.
Online tracking opt-out. There are a number of ways to limit online tracking, which we have summarized in the “Cookies and Other Technologies” section above.
6. Processing Personal Information in the U.S.
7. California Privacy Rights Disclosures
Where provided for by law and subject to any applicable exceptions, California residents may have the right:
- To know the categories of personal information that 908 Devices has collected about you, the business purpose for collecting your personal information, and the categories of sources from which the personal information was collected;
- To access the specific pieces of personal information that 908 Devices has collected about you;
- To know whether 908 Devices has disclosed your personal information for business purposes, the categories of personal information so disclosed, and the categories of third parties to whom we have disclosed your personal information;
- To have 908 Devices, under certain circumstances, delete your personal information; and
- To be free from discrimination related to the exercise of these rights.
If you would like to exercise any or all of these rights, you may do so by contacting us. After we receive your request, we may request additional information from you to verify your identity. Your authorized agent may submit requests in the same manner, although we may require the agent to present signed written permission to act on your behalf, and you may also be required to independently verify your identity with us and confirm that you have provided the agent permission to submit the request.
Our Website and services are not directed to children who are under the age of 13. 908 Devices does not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If you have reason to believe that a child under the age of 13 has provided personal information to 908 Devices through the Website, please contact us and we will endeavor to delete that information from our databases.
9. Notice to European Data Subjects
Controller. For purposes of European data protection legislation, we are the controller of the personal information. You can contact us using the information listed in the “Contact Us” section below.
Legal basis for processing. European data protection law sets out a list of justifications on which companies may rely to process personal information, and requires companies to explain to individuals the specific justifications for the company’s data processing activities. We generally rely on one of the following justifications to process personal information:
- Contractual Necessity, to provide you with the Website functionality and our Products and services, and to take steps that you request prior to entering into a contract with us.
- Legitimate Interests, where it is necessary for our legitimate business purposes, your interest or the interests of a third-party.
Provision of some of this data is necessary to provide our Products and services to you.
|Processing Purpose||Personal Information||GDPR Legal Basis|
|Service delivery||Contact and Identification InformationCommunication InformationSocial Media Information||Legitimate Interests in responding to your requests or questions, providing you with the support that you request, improving services, and developing a business relationship with you|
|Service delivery||Payment InformationProduct UsageInformation Provided When You Access Secure Areas of Our Website||Contractual Necessity|
|Research and Development||Contact and Identification InformationInformation Collected Automatically||Consent for using cookies and similar technologies other than strictly necessary; orLegitimate interests in testing, evaluating and improving 908 Devices’ Products and services.|
|Evaluating Job Applicants||Job Applicant Data||Legitimate Interests in facilitating the interview process and communicating with you, making informed recruitment decisions, selecting suitable candidates for roles with us, improving our recruiting and hiring processes, and complying with applicable laws and regulations|
|Marketing and advertising||Contact and Identification InformationMarketing DataInformation Collected Automatically Information Obtained From Third-Party Sources||Legitimate Interests in sending you information regarding our own products and services that may be of interest to you, and informing our marketing strategy; orConsent for sending marketing communications regarding other products and services that may be of interest to you; orConsent for using third-party advertising cookies|
|Compliance and protection||Contact and Identification InformationCommunication InformationInformation Collected Automatically||Legitimate interests in keeping our Website, services, network and information systems secure, and complying with laws and regulations|
Your rights. Data protection laws give you certain rights regarding your personal information. If you are located in Europe, you may ask us to take the following actions in relation to your personal information:
- Access. Provide you with information about our processing of your personal information and give you access to your personal information.
- Correct. Update or correct inaccuracies in your personal information.
- Delete. Delete your personal information.
- Transfer. Transfer a machine-readable copy of your personal information to you or a third-party of your choice.
- Restrict. Restrict the processing of your personal information.
- Object. Object to our reliance on legitimate interests as the basis of our processing of your personal information that impacts your rights, or object to our processing of your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
You may submit these requests by email, or by our postal address provided below.
We may request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and process your request. Applicable law may require or permit us to decline your request. If we decline your request, we will tell you why, subject to legal restrictions. If you would like to submit a complaint about our use of your personal information or our response to your requests regarding your personal information, you may contact us or submit a complaint to the data protection regulator in your jurisdiction. You can find your data protection regulator here. If you are located in the UK, you may submit a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/your-personal-information-concerns/.
Data retention. We retain personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we collected it, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements, to establish or defend legal claims, or for fraud prevention purposes. When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize it.
10. Links to Other Websites
You use the Website at your own risk. We implement commercially reasonable technical, administrative, and organizational measures designed to protect personal information both online and offline from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, no Internet or e-mail transmission is ever fully secure or error free. In particular, e-mail sent to or from us may not be secure. Therefore, you should take special care in deciding what information you send to us via the Website or e-mail. Please keep this in mind when disclosing any personal information to 908 Devices via the Internet. In addition, we are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website, or third-party websites.
13. Contact Us
908 Devices Inc.
645 Summer Street
Boston, MA 02210
email Subscribe to Our Communications Signup to receive new product updates, technical tips and more.